August 28, 2012

The Neuropsychologist and a Day Long of Testing.

So as part of my Fitness for Work, I was sent to a Neuropsychologist for testing.

It all started with a two hour interview.

I have to say I am getting pretty good at all this divulging stuff cause something came out during that interview that shocked me.

He asked me about traumas I have had.

I mentioned that when I was a child, my parents would go on vacation without the kids, more often without me as being the youngest and 3rd child, I was the "expensive" one.

One time they forgot to come back for a week.  During that week, I thought I had been abandoned.  The aunt I was staying with thought my family had died so she was showing signs of stress.

The psychologist asked if it had a lasting effect on my.  I realized that it did.  I had trouble forming close relationships, had trouble trusting people because of that event.

If I care about them too much, it hurts more when they leave.  And they will always leave. 

When I made the comment "I now take for granted that they won't stick around"  the psychologists face registered "emotion".  It goes on par with the fact that I am unlovable I guess.

Anyways... quite enlightening.

The second day was all kinds of tests.

Emotional intelligence  (EI) tests

Intelligence quotient (IQ) tests

Memory tests (short term only)

Processing tests and so many more...

When I left my brain was hurting.  I would like to know the results of the tests.  I guess I should ask.

I did stop to think at a certain point that even though they were doing all these tests, it would give them a result.  They would know if I have bad memory (short term), if I have emotional tolerance but as for the "IQ" aspect, without something to compare it against how do they know that I have a reduced ability compared to me?

They'll know what my ability compared to the average Joe is, but not compared to what I can normally do.

I used to tell my former doctor that  at my reduced ability (mentally), I was still higher ability than many.  She saw that as a sign of mania.

It's like telling Ben Johnson that because he says he can run faster than the average Joe on a bad day, he has an inflated sense of self.  That would be a wrong assumption now would it not be?

Note... My mental abilities are not exactly like Ben Johnson's running ability.  Just using exaggeration to illustrate my point.

Thanks for reading

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...