April 23, 2013

Loss of interests makes life boring

You all know that I have been suffering from depression for a while now

In fact, some of you know that I sank pretty darn low at some point.

The good news is that I am technically better, I am no longer on the brink of death.  I have to admit that this blog, even though I have been somewhat quiet in the last little while has been partially responsible for my imporving.

An audience, no matter how small can make a difference, no matter what my occupational therapist was telling me.

The bad news is that I seem to have plateaued in my recovery.  Furthermore, my symptoms seem to have morphed into a new animal, but still depression.

On one hand I have become terribly confused and lost.  It's like my brain has taken a vacation and forgot to come back.  This may be a side effect of my medications.  I cannot focus and concentrate and I struggle to do what used to be so easy and simple.

On the other hand I have lost interest in so many things.

Former things that brought me joy, even small joy bring me nothing but boredom.

Things like:

  • reading
  • playing games online
  • doing crossword puzzles
  • the satisfaction of a clean house (or something like it, my house is never clean)
  • cooking
  • baking
  • taking a walk
  • drawing
  • crafting
  • taking a drive
  • shopping
  • blogging
  • etc.
It has all become such a chore, so boring.  It's as if I have become massively lazy.  Before you ask, yes Sex is on that list, but I gave up on sex YEARS ago. 

Anyone have any suggestions or advice on how I can gain pleasure again?

Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. My suggestion is to look at beautiful things. Things YOU find beautiful. That way, when you see those things in your day-to-day life, it may bring you pleasure.

    Ex. I love nature, insects especially-I am always fascinated by them! So when I "bump into" a caterpillar, see a spider or even just worm, it brings me pleasure. I like to look at them and wonder how they "work" and am amazed at their creation - their beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually going through something similar to this. I've been so bored and it's with things I use to escape to when I was bored.
    I love writing but lately I feel like I have to literally push myself to finish what I start. I feel terrible doing that because I still feel my writing is important but I feel I'm too bored to even life my pen. Sigh

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...